Financial assistance — to address at-risk basic necessities — may be provided following unexpected emergencies, such as:
- Major illness or injury of a spouse, dependent, or the retiree him/herself
- Death of a spouse, dependent, or the retiree him/herself
- Natural disaster or catastrophe (tornado, flood, house fire, etc.)
- Sudden, involuntary loss of a retiree’s or spouse/domestic partner’s full-time job
- Domestic violence (emergency relocation)
- Removal or repair of a health/safety hazard in the home
- Repair/replacement of essential home appliances
- Handicap accessories
- Repair of only means of transportation
- Domestic violence (emergency relocation)
- Eviction or utility disconnection
Elder Care Needs
In addition to unexpected emergencies, retirees may also qualify for assistance to obtain elder care needs they cannot otherwise afford, such as:
- Hearing aids
- Extractions, partials and/or dentures
Eligibility to Apply
- LS&Co. retirees, spouses and surviving spouses of retirees, and former employees with 20 or more years of service
- LS&Co. retirees typically have a minimum of 15 years of service and were age 55 or older when they stopped working for LS&Co.
- Please contact the Red Tab Foundation if you need financial assistance but are unsure about your eligibility to apply
General Criteria for Approval
To qualify for assistance, retirees must: (a) meet the eligibility requirements as stated above, b) experience a qualifying emergency, (c) demonstrate financial need, and (d) have explored alternative sources of support.
Maximum Level of Assistance
- The Red Tab Foundation can provide a maximum of USD $5000. In rare circumstances, aid exceeding USD $5000 can be provided upon approval of RTF’s board of directors.
Retirees’ Frequently Asked Questions
See below for answers to our FAQ’s or download the PDF version here.
Emergency Aid: Retirees
The Red Tab Foundation considers anyone for which the retiree is 100% financial responsible as eligible dependents. Children, grand children, siblings or other relatives are not considered dependents unless the retiree can show they are 100% dependent.
- Past due rent/mortgage
- Past due utilities (e.g. gas, water, electricity)
- Past due car payment
- Essential funeral expenses
- Temporary shelter/moving expenses (in cases such as escaping from domestic violence or retiree’s home being severely damaged from a fire or natural disaster)
- Clothing (in cases where an employee has suffered a loss of clothing, such as a fire or natural disaster)
- Uninsured home repairs due to a natural disaster or fire
- Critical medical treatment that is being withheld due to lack of funds or coverage
As a result of an illness or injury, if a retiree is unable to pay for the basic necessities of living (due to medical bills and expenses, loss of income, etc.), the Red Tab Foundation may provide a grant for delinquent bills such as rent/mortgage and/or essential utilities (gas, water and electricity).
The RTF does NOT provide assistance for the following:
- Attorney’s fees (divorce, child custody dispute)
- Fines, penalties, bail
- Credit card bills
- Debt consolidation loans
- Personal loans
- Immigration fees
- Moving expenses (except in natural disaster cases)
- School loans, tuition, supplies
- Maintenance related home repairs
- Teeth cleanings, fillings, etc.
Depending on the type of request, retirees can receive:
- A tax-free grant (check) typically written out to service providers such as the dentist, contractor or the retiree’s landlord or utility company
- A voucher for eyeglasses and/or hearing aids
Eligible home repairs are defined as: Extensive interior or exterior work performed to alleviate critical health and safety issues or code violations, including a change to or repair of materials or components; handicap home modifications; installation or repair of plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems; repair or replacement of essential home appliances.
If a retiree does not meet the Red Tab Foundation’s eligibility criteria, every effort will be made to refer that person to an alternative resource for assistance.
There is no set income limit for most services. However, the assistance provided by the Red Tab Foundation is need-based so a retiree’s household income in an important factor used to determine eligibility.
No. Retirees are eligible for life and can apply at any time.
No. The Red Tab Foundation is for retirees who have no other sources of support, which includes friends and family.
The Red Tab Foundation can help address financial hardship related to medical expenses. For example, if a retiree pays a Medicare hospitalization deductible and cannot pay their mortgage as a result, we can provide a grant to pay the mortgage. We can can also provide assistance if essential medical treatment is being denied by a service provider because of a retiree’s inability to pay.
Yes. However, some types of assistance have annual or lifetime limits.
Yes. The Red Tab Foundation is a public charity and accepts donations. To make a donation, click on the “donate” button at the top of the RTF website for payment options, or call 1-800-544-5498.